We are here to connect with you and offer highlights from our year, as well as invite possibilities to create moving forward.
Now is the time for change and we’re grateful you are with us on this journey.
A big thank you to all the leaders, organizations and community members we have collaborated with in Canada and around the globe!
Workshops and Trainings
We have offerings about communication, peace circles, restorative justice, medicine wheel teachings, decolonizing and reconciliation.
Join us in celebrating our partners and hosts during 2021!
We are honoured Dr. Evelyn Zellerer was chosen to facilitate an immensely powerful four-month learning journey of peacemaking circles with Carcross/Tagish First Nation. Inspired by the amazing participants and this self-governing, visionary Indigenous Nation. Thanking the Peacemaking Task Group for our collaborative work. Congratulations to all the graduates!
We are pleased to offer a workshop series, “Medicine Wheel and Peace Circles”, for staff to create more culturally competent and respectful workplaces. Co-facilitated by Elder Phil Mechuskosis L’Hirondelle and Dr Evelyn Zellerer. Acknowledging the openness of participants to engage, learn and co-create. A special thank you to organizer Nigel Argent.
Youth Restorative Justice Program
Boys & Girls Clubs of the Okanagan and their partner Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society completed the 3rd level peace circles training with us. We applaud this extraordinary team of frontline workers. Despite all the challenges, they have shown up for youth and families in Kelowna throughout the pandemic, keeping people housed, out of the justice system, and connected. Thanking our hosts Meghan Ramsay and Aravis Walters.
“Men, Family & Community Learning Series”
Domestic Violence Prevention Program and Kiwassa Neighbourhood House invited us to facilitate a workshop on “Having Difficult Conversations”. We are uplifted by feedback that “participants walked away from the session more equipped to do their frontline work“. Appreciating the diverse group of social workers, settlement workers, violence prevention and intervention workers, and others from BC and Manitoba for all they do and being so open to participatory learning.
Congratulations on launching a new initiative to become a relational, restorative school and community. We are delighted to facilitate a series of workshops that focused on building relations, asset mapping, learning and visioning. Two words from our closing circle: gifts and gratitude. Our journey will continue in 2022, stay tuned!
We’re thrilled to be invited to work with Brazilian colleagues. Dr Evelyn Zellerer facilitated a webinar as part of an advanced course for over 100 judges, lawyers, teachers, psychologists, mediators and more. Special thanks to organizer Judge Leoberto Brancher, translator Fátima De Bastiani and AJURIS. Applauding the implementing of restorative practices and peacemaking circles in Brazil, including in courts.
Read our blog about our trip to Brazil training judges.
Interested in a workshop or training for your unique context and needs?
Contact us for a free consultation.
Here is a flavour of the diversity of contexts we provided facilitation in 2021:
- Neighbours living in co-operative housing
- Workplaces involving leadership, staff and clients
- Therapist/Client and other relations involving trust and power
- Couples and Families
What might an independent facilitator offer you?
Building Teams & Culture
You do not need to be experiencing conflict to work with us! We are also creating healthy, productive communication, relationships and teams.
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada – a team with DFO does challenging work throughout the province; it was time for them to come together for themselves. Dr Evelyn Zellerer facilitated staff in relationship and team building, with a focus on identifying guiding shared values. We had the pleasure of working with graphic recorder Michelle Buchho, Cassyex Consulting. It was rewarding to accomplish a lot in one day and achieve beautiful results!
- NGOs – we work with various organizations. For example, staff who were experiencing a challenging year met to uncover their accomplishments and successes, while building healthy relations for moving forward. Participants shared how powerful it is to come together:
“Leaving this meeting feeling hopeful, relieved and grateful.”
We are delighted to bring out the best in people and to create greater possibilities.
We also offer private sessions!
Tailored sessions can be about your pre-chosen topic and/or an opportunity to ask questions. It is a deep dive to wherever you’re interested in going, and includes offering insights and working with energies. It will be up to you how far down any rabbit hole you dare to go!
- Thanking the team at Restorative Justice Salt Spring Island for going on our 5 session online coaching journey. What a gift to be in Circle with dedicated, fabulous practitioners and volunteers. A heartfelt thank you to our host and program coordinator Darlene Gage.
- Applauding the practitioners with the Southern Gulf Islands Community Justice Program. Our 3-hour virtual coaching session was a space for deep conversation with great questions, wisdom and pragmatic tools. As one participant said: “it filled me up”. Special thanks to coordinator Jim Peacock. If you’re on Pender Island, join their community dialogues!
- Facilitators Marina Cantacuzino and Sandra Barefoot with The Forgiveness Project, UK, were launching a course and had some questions. What a delight to spend a powerful 2 hours in a coaching session with these talented change makers!
- Honoured that the Department of National Defence had chosen Dr. Evelyn Zellerer as a national coach with the Sexual Misconduct Response Centre. They are developing a restorative program as part of the settlement agreement of class action lawsuits. The agreement includes an option for survivors to participate in a restorative engagement program to share their experience with senior military representatives. There is hope that opportunities to talk about sexual misconduct will help change the culture that enables it.
Speaking & Media
Juno-nominated pop rock band, Girl Pow-R, interviewed and chose Dr. Evelyn Zellerer as the subject matter expert for World Peace Starts with You and the launch of #iMatter. They are creating a program to empower youth through workshops, discussion and music.
“Never underestimate the power and impact of even just one person.”
~ Dr. Evelyn Zellerer
A New World of Possibilities…
Hot off the press – our Restorative Collective has come to a consensus to move toward Vancouver becoming a Restorative City! There is motion by Councillor Michael Wiebe being brought to City Council for discussion and vote.
We’re bringing together diverse voices and wisdom with representatives from Indigenous-led organizations, various service providers including for survivors/victims, youth and seniors, LGBTQ2S+, City Council, Vancouver Police Department, Downtown Community Court, Vancouver Board of Parks & Recreation, BIA safety committee and more!
This Restorative Collective, we affectionately call the ‘Dream Team’, has been meeting to learn, vision and create a relational, holistic, decolonizing approach to conflict, harm, healing, justice and peace.
Grateful for all participants who are engaging so authentically with the complexities of our mission.
Connect with us on social media and we have a dedicated webpage.
Funding from grants through Civil Forfeiture Funds from the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General BC – thank you!
Unexpected Gift of Virtual Circles
Celebrating the life and legacy of leaders who came before us, and continue to inspire us.
Children are awakening the world
Acknowledging the pain as well as resilience as children are found and being returned home.
There is no reconciliation without truth.
The National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation continues to update a memorial and offer resources.
Every Child Matters
“… we step out of the shade,
aflame and unafraid
The new dawn blooms as we free it.
For there is always light,
if only we’re brave enough to see it
If only we’re brave enough to be it.”
– Amanda Gorman, The Hill We Climb
Together creating a more just, peaceful, kinder world for all.