Are you ready for International Restorative Justice Week?
From it’s humble beginnings in the 1970s in England, to Canada redefining and expanding it into Restorative Justice Week in the 1990s, this yearly celebration recently expanded again to become International Restorative Justice Week, annually the third week of November.
Join us virtually this year November 15-22, 2020 in educating, raising awareness, and sharing the diversity of approaches as well as best practice.
The African Forum for Restorative Justice (AFRJ) is launching their new website!
Join their event on 15 November at 5pm (West African Time), with the theme: “Afro-Centric Perspective of Restorative Justice”.
AFRJ strives to advance restorative justice in Africa, transform criminal justice systems, heal wounds of crime, and connect the disconnected.
Also see the work of Restorative Justice for Africa (REJA), promoting human rights and access to justice in Nigeria and all of Africa. They focus on youth, women, and indigent inmates.
See what our wonderful colleagues are doing for SEMANA RESTAURATIVA DO BRASIL 2020! Este site tem a intenção de juntar informações e registro das diferentes atividades que irão ocorrer ao longo da semana.
What if every city proclaims RJ Week, like Mayor Danny Breen just did in St. John’s, NL, Canada?!
Register for the virtual Canadian National Restorative Justice Symposium, November 16 & 17, 2020. This year’s theme is: “Responsive and Restorative Justice: Lessons for a Global Pandemic”. Join us for keynotes and workshops!
- Visit European Forum for Restorative Justice for events
- RJ4All is releasing a series of webinars and other free resources. Check out also their free e-course and videos on Building Youth Resilience
- Limerick Restorative Practices Project – Limerick, Ireland celebrates with the theme: “Courage to Change”, with events on 17, 18 & 19 November
- Restorative Justice-Expert Day 2020 – A panel discussion on: “Healing Instead of Punishment: International and Interdisciplinary Perspectives of Restorative Justice“, in English & German, 20 November, 19:00-20:45 (CET)
- “KINTSUGI – Exchange of European Good Practices on Restorative Justice” coordinated by WELCOME (Italy) with partners from Belgium, Italy and Northern Ireland, started in 2018. Their final event during RJ Week includes:
- 4 videos – will be online free of charge on Vimeo
- Live Q&A session – free, 27 November, 10-11 am (CET)
- REstART Festival – An online festival bringing together arts, research and practice offering a forum to discuss justice, solidarity and repair, 30 November – 5 December
Nepal & Asia
- Nepal Forum for Restorative Justice organizes the 4th Nepal Conference on Restorative Justice in Kathmandu 20-21 November. The theme is “Restorative Justice and Child Victims of Conflict and Violence”
- Asia Pacific Forum for Restorative Justice – Check out their Facebook page for updates and information
- We’re honoured to continue working with The Asia Foundation Nepal, training dialogue facilitators and currently working on a sustainability project
- A virtual Restorative Justice Art Show of entries from the “Reimagining Justice“ contest will be shown November 18-22. Visitors can vote for Viewer’s Choice Awards that will be given at the end of the week. With the National Center on Restorative Justice at Vermont Law School
RJ World 2020
Peace of the Circle was a proud co-sponsor of the “Voices, Vision and Values in Restorative Justice” eConference with RJ World 2020. A ten day online showcase that gathered presenters from across the world.
Congratulations and thanking Coordinator Martin Howard!
Visit the RJ World website for follow-up and ongoing information.
Colorizing Restorative Justice: Book & Events
A new book “Colorizing Restorative Justice: Voicing Our Realities” offers 18 essays by Indigenous peoples and people of colour exploring issues of racism and colonization within restorative justice/restorative practices.
Edited by Edward C. Valandra, Waŋbli Wapȟáha Hokšíla. Published by Living Justice Press.
Authors’ Circle: A Facilitated Dialogue: meet the authors, weekly until 3 December. By Reclaiming Our Own Truths & Stories (ROOTS).
Building Partnerships for Restorative Justice
Peace of the Circle, in partnership with Just Outcomes, is starting an initiative to advance restorative justice in Vancouver, with a focus on strategic partnership development.
Contact us if you are a stakeholder in the city and are interested in potentially being involved.
Working with Restorative Justice Programs
Highlighting two initiatives who had training this fall with Dr Evelyn Zellerer. Congratulations and thanking:
- Southern Gulf Islands Community Justice Program, Pender Island
- Boys & Girls Clubs of the Okanagan with the Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society, Kelowna
Look out world, we have more peacemakers!
RJ ABC: New Executive Director & Website
RJ ABC just launched their website: rjabc.ca.
We look forward to deepening our relationship with RJ ABC. There’s such great work being done across British Columbia!
We would love to hear what you’re doing for Restorative Justice Week and beyond!